The Active School Flag is awarded to schools that strive to achieve a physically educated and physically active school community. As a school we are striving towards achieving this active school community in Tombrack N.S. Our school motto that was chosen by the Active School Committee is Be Active Everyday
About the Active School Flag Project:
The Active School Flag is a Department of Education and Skills initiative which recognises schools that strive to achieve a physically educated and physically active school community, by awarding them with an Active School Flag (ASF).
To learn more about the Active School Flag Initiative, visit their website – http://www.activeschoolflag.ie
1. Physical Education
- We provide all pupils with appropriate PE provision and ensure the school PE plan is both comprehensive and up to date. We recently had Ciara from the PDST PE team in demonstrating the 'Move Well Move Often' programme which we are introducing in to our PE planning.
- We have purchased new PE equipment such as tennis balls, footballs, helmets and hurls and we take a full inventory of our PE equipment twice a year to check for damage and lost equipment.
2. Physical Activity
As an Active School we:
- take part in Hurling 365 every Thursday morning before school from 8am to 9am
- have formed a new healthy eating policy with input from parents and pupils
- report all outcomes of our Active School meetings on our school notice board and in our newsletter
- have planned to climb the nearby Sliabh Buí mountain in 2019
- have formed an Active School Committee as well as a Student Council.
- play lunchtime leagues on our AstroTurf pitch
- have various games and activities for children on the yard
- have playground leaders who design breaktime activities for the junior room
- take part in 'talk and walk' at lunchtime
- have set up our 'Slí na Slainte' route for our Mile a Day initiative
- acknowledge pupils achievements outside the school
In Tombrack NS, we understand the importance of parents and the wider school community. In our school we have:
- parent volounteers who coach in our Hurling 365 initiative
- members of the local hill walking group who will guide us on our hill walks
- coaches from Wexford GAA who coach hurling and football every week
- a club/school link officer from Ferns GAA who works with the school to organise resources and coaching
- tag rugby coaching with Leinster rugby
- have a 5km run planned for June with help of local running club 'Sliabh Buí Rovers'
4. Active School Week
Our annual Active School Week is looking very exciting this year with lots of activities planned such as Fittest Families, Sports Day, Wake Up Shake Up, Penalties against the Principal, tag rugby, Sponsored Walk, Bike to School Day and much much more. The date for this years Active Week will be finalised shortly.
Catherine from the PDST teaching us to 'Move Well Move Often'
Burting out the gate for another 'Mile a Day'